"It is time for us to go to the people rather than ask the people, especially the poor, to come to us."
TAO (Technical Assistance Organization) Pilipinas, Inc. is a women-led, non-stock, non-profit, non-government association that assists urban and rural poor communities in the physical planning, development, and management of their communities. It was started in 2001 by a multidisciplinary group of individuals who wanted to have a socially-responsive professional practice.
Our core values are integrity, commitment, professionalism, and respect for diversity.
TAO-Pilipinas envisions the development of sustainable human settlements that is inclusive, people-centered, environment-friendly, and promotes equitable distribution of and access to resources.
TAO-Pilipinas commits to the fulfillment of the following roles:
- Promotion of participatory human settlements, planning, design, development, and management;
- Enhancement of technical knowledge and skills among stakeholders in sustainable human settlements development especially the urban poor; and
- Planning, design and development of sustainable settlements, and disaster and climate resilient shelter for disaster-affected communities
TAO-Pilipinas aims to help bring about improved living and housing situation and increased disaster and climate resilience of the poor and vulnerable, consistent with the Rights of Nature framework.
TAO-Pilipinas targets to achieve the development of sustainable human settlements by extending support in the form of direct technical assistance, capability-building, research, and networking. The following are its objectives:
- Strengthened community capability to participate and negotiate in processes to acquire security of tenure and establish safe and sustainable settlements
- Improved access to gender-responsive technical assistance and financial resources for poor and vulnerable communities
- Increased community access to knowledge and information leading to low carbon community-managed development
- Increased awareness on heritage conservation through research and education
Read our organizational profile to know more about us.